Monday, January 20, 2014

Final Post

This was a pretty interesting assignment.  Although I had frequently gone to this website I generally stayed away from the forum because I imagined it would be similar to the  comments on Youtbe, which is pretty much of a cesspool of idiotic comments.  The few times I did go to the forum and read some fanposts, I had never approached my usage of it from a perspective of analyzing digital citizenship.  I was honestly pretty surprised at how many displays of positive digital citizenship versus negative there were on this website.  There was very little negative examples.  I later discovered that is because the website owner gives moderator privileges to certain users that can delete comments and ban certain users if they post comments that violate the rules.  The rules are pretty extensive and include 'fighter bashing' which can mean a whole host of negative comments against certain fighters.  It is this type of moderation that prevents many instances of poor digital citizenship.  If you compare it to say, twitter.  On Twitter, people say all sorts of damaging and ignorant comments because there is nobody there moderate it.  On this forum, however, many members had the ability to do this and it really helps create a positive, entertaining, and informative atmosphere.

This assignment showed me that no matter the topic, the internet can actually be a place where positive digital citizenship is displayed.  Despite the fact that the posters are totally anonymous, many are generally respectful and insightful.  There are a few people who make comments without thinking about what they say, but the same is true is in the real world!  I imagine that a big part of why many posters on the forums are on the best behavior has to do with the fact that people know they will not be able to get away with saying certain things.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Erik, I agree that this assignment was interesting and informative. I also noticed that for the most part, forum members seem to display pretty positive digital citizenship. Though it is fascinating to read comments that appear to demonstrate negative digital citizenship and wonder if the poster thought about what they were posting before they posted it, and why they continued to post it if it is offensive to a specific person or group of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erik- I enjoyed reading your blog, mostly because my husband is a big fan too! I like that there's someone who moderates what's being posted on the forum. If only they could do that to the rest of social media! Or if only people were better educated on digital citizenship? I just don't understand why people rather bash others on forums then give constructive criticism? I try to teach my students that if they don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I'm glad you enjoyed this assignment as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too took a great deal away from this assignment. It has allowed me to open my mind up to the world of blogging and posting in forums. I think this was a very unique assignment and was awesome that we were able to choose a topic that sparked our own interests. It made it that much more interesting and informative. It has allowed me to look at digital citizenship in a different light and better understand what fan forum are all about. I enjoyed reading your blogs about your forum throughout this past nine weeks.

    ReplyDelete