Sunday, January 12, 2014

Should women fight?

In my last two blog posts I referenced an Australian journalist who heavily criticized MMA.  One of his quotes was the fact that women are allowed to fight was a 'disgrace' (and another reason it should be banned in Australia).  Whether or not you agree with the assessment that allowing women to fight is a disgrace, it brings up an interesting point that many MMA fans were eager to discuss.  To the average person, MMA might seem like a sport that is too brutal or too violent.  The fact that women also fight in the UFC might just turn those people completely off to the sport and never give it a chance.  The UFC only recently allowed women to fight after the president of the UFC had claimed that women would never fight in the UFC a mere two years prior to women being allowed to fight.

Some were critical of this decision because they felt that it would be a step in the wrong direction and would turn off too many people to the sport.  Even some high-profile champions have claimed that they do not find women fighting appealing because they don't like to see girls get hit, which they took quite a bit of criticism for.  I admit that I too was a little put off at watching women fight at first.  However, after watching nearly 20 women fights I don't think I have ever seen a woman get knocked out.  Most of the women that enter the sport come from grappling background.  The champion of the women's division is a bronze medalist in Olympic Judo and her next opponent is a silver medalist in Olympic wrestling.  Female matches are often incredibly exciting and technical grappling matches, as are male fights at lower weight classes because 125, 135, and 145 pound fighters rarely have knockout power.  It is for this reason that female fights have already became a popular and exciting addition to the sport and many fans and journalists welcome their addition to the UFC.

3 comments:

  1. I could see how this question could raise such opinions. I'm trying to look at it at all angles and not just a somewhat feminist. I could see how to some, especially those who categorize women as being a certain way, non-violent creatures, but at the same time I feel like if it's a sport that men can do why can women participate as well. I am not really into watching MMA, like I have mentioned before, but for my own personal taste I think I would be more interested to watch a female fight, just to compare their techniques to that of a male fight. It is not just a recent event where women have had the want to be fighters, and if they are putting in the hard work and hours why shouldn't they be allowed to compete in something they are passionate about. I can see what mean by women showing their technique versus a straight knock out, since physically women are in a different weight class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as a feminist I like to believe women can do anything men can do. But as a pacifist and a woman I can say I would have no desire to fight in a sport like this. It will definitely be interesting for you to see what the range of thoughts on this topic would be as I am sure it is very controversial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how this issue would certainly raise controversy. Though I would have no desire to ever participate in MMA, I don't see any reason why women should not able to do is they so desire. Though I don't feel there would be anything wrong with women fighting, I can see how others would be offended by the concept, especially those who believe that physical limitations of women are always below those of men.

    ReplyDelete